You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 10 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "mrsbakerba2" started this thread

Reg: Nov 12th 2008

Children: Here's hoping!

Monday, March 30th 2009, 6:54pm

Tamoxifen / HSG / PCOS

Hello

I haven't posted in a while and I was in the Clomid forum but things have moved on a bit and I'd like to hear from others with any experience of Tamoxifen and having what I think is called an HSG?

I'm just finishing my 6th cycle of clomid. NO BFP although on cycle two my period was late and heavy so slight chance something happened. Since then nothing so my consultant today prescribed Tamoxifen and booked me in for an HSG which I think is to check tubes etc. Anyone taken Tam. or had an HSG? Would be interested to hear your experience / success stories? You read a lot about Clomid but I've not read any real life success stories on Tam.

I also got a diagnosis of PCOS which is why I've been on Clomid. Clomid showed I ovulated but no BFP - any ideas?

thanks everyone

Mrs B
1 MMC 12 wks
1 MC 6 wks
PCOS
6 x Clomid - 1 chemical pregnancy
5 x Tamoxifen BFN
Jan '10 - IVF - :BFN:
May '10 IVF no.2 - :BFN:

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, March 30th 2009, 7:03pm

Hello Mrs B

I've not had an HSG myself but here are a few threads which may help you.

Im having my HSG on Monday....

HSG

Advice on HSG prep anyone?

Scared of HSG

Got my HSG on Friday!

Hystersalpingogram (hsg).......help????

HSG

hsg scan

INFO: A ROUGH GUIDE TO INITIAL FERTILITY TESTS

This is what I've found on Tamoxifen.

Tamoxifen

I hope this helps

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, March 30th 2009, 7:05pm

Hi, Hun
A number of us have had HSG's and there is a lot of info available about it. Here ar a few links:
HSG

Advice on HSG prep anyone?

Scared of HSG

Got my HSG on Friday!

Hystersalpingogram (hsg).......help????

HSG

hsg scan

INFO: A ROUGH GUIDE TO INITIAL FERTILITY TESTS

I have no experience with Tamoxifen but you can find some info on it here

Anybody on Tamoxifen??Or heard of it?

As for ovulation but no BFP - well - ovulation is not a garuantee of success. An HSG would be handy to make sure that sperm can REACH an egg and the other question would be - has your DP/H had a Semen Analysis? If yes, what are his numbers, motility, morphology etc?

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

• "mrsbakerba2" started this thread

Reg: Nov 12th 2008

Children: Here's hoping!

Monday, March 30th 2009, 7:16pm

Hello
thanks I've been reading my way through all this, makes me feel better. I've read on other boards that if you do have a blockage sometimes having the HSG can help clear it a little - have you heard this? Also if you do have a block then it makes the process more painful - but I guess you find out there and then there's something wrong!

Today I've asked for my husband to have another SA as he hasn't had one for a long while and last time I got the impression it was medium - low but ok ish - anyway they didnt' bring it up as a problem so I didn't take it in really. Now they agree its time to check again. I wonder if my two m/c or potential 3 m/c might have caused some scars to form.

thanks everyone

Mrs B
1 MMC 12 wks
1 MC 6 wks
PCOS
6 x Clomid - 1 chemical pregnancy
5 x Tamoxifen BFN
Jan '10 - IVF - :BFN:
May '10 IVF no.2 - :BFN:

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Monday, March 30th 2009, 9:09pm

RE: Tamoxifen / HSG / PCOS

Hi,

Tamoxifen is another anti-oestrogen like Clomid, and acting in the same way. It is a little less likely to reduce mucus quality, and a drug that I have used a lot in the past for patients. But is seems to have gone out of favour. The problem about using Clomid (and tamoxifen) is all they can do is improve hormones and produce ovulation, especially for people with PCOS. But they can't get you pregnant that is up to other factors and luck. But if you responded to this with a good high progesterone then your fertility had been returned to normal, and this is a good start - but six months is not a long time to be trying for a baby as you realise, even if you are (with Clomid) normally fertile. This is the limitation about using ovulation induction drugs. But by being moved on to tamoxifen you have some more months of ovulation with which to conceive, which is good.

An HSG is another way of checking tubes where an radio opaque liquid is injected into the cervix, then into the uterus abd through the fallopian tubes. It checks whether the cavity of the uterus is normal, no fibroids, polyps or abnormalities, and whether the tubes are open and look normal. It is done in an x-ray dept and if you ask the radiologist she may let you watch the dye flowing along, on a screen. It is my method of choice for checking tubes as you get an instant result and it does not require you to go into and operating theatre.

It is quite possible that your different period was an implantation that did not last, which is sad but also usefully informative and encouraging.

So keep in touch and let's know how thing go for you.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 10 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE